As a child, in School, I was quite confused about quite a few things that we were taught! I guess that came with the territory. However, there is one part that bothers me even today and that is the part about conflicting Proverbs, Idioms and oft used phrases.
Since I really haven't been able to 'resolve' is, I thought I may as well pen this down (does anyone even use this phrase anymore?) for you all to see - and, if possible, help me to figure it out!
Here are a few of them that really have me confused!
1. We are often told to LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP, but isn't it also true that PROCRASTINATION IS THE THIEF OF TIME?
2. Similarly, HASTE MAKES WASTE, but its only THE EARLY BIRD WHICH CATCHES THE WORM!
3. It is true that if we stay away from something for too long it is natural that ABSENCE MAKETH THE HEART GROW FONDER, yet it is known that FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT.
4. While OPPOSITES ATTRACT, we are also taught that it is always BIRDS OF A FEATHER WHO FLOCK TOGETHER!
5. VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE, yet we are told that A BIRD IN HAND IS WORTH TWO IN THE BUSH!
6. TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH, but if at the same time, MANY HANDS MAKE LIGHT WORK!
7. WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER, but ONE MAN'S MEAT IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON!
Well, these are the few that have me (still) confused - and If my School English teacher is reading this, she'd wonder how come I got 91% in the 10th!
If you think of any more such conflicting ones, please feel free to comment and write in - so while we can AGREE TO DISAGREE we can still BE ON THE SAME PAGE :)
Well ... and that's how I feel ...
- ▼ December (3)
- ► 2009 (11)
- ► 2008 (17)
- ► 2007 (28)