Saturday, February 27, 2010

Karthik Calling Karthik - My View

Just saw KCK today and I haven't even reached home, but here I am writing about it!

This is one of the few movies that I've seen so close to its release ..2nd day, 1st show! Quite surprised at my own eagerness to watch it. But that's how I am. I go by instinct, on such things.

For instance, I haven't yet seen 3 Idiots or Avatar - but didn't miss Luck By Chance & Love Aaj Kal (any coincidence they had Farhan & Deepika?)

Coming to KCK, I don't want to reveal the storyline (no spoilers, here!) - but its a nicely done movie. It has its fair share of laughs, thrills and meaningless (avoidable) moments.

My kudos to the Director, who actually got the audience to clap in the last shot - I was truly amazed!

The movie could have done away with about 10 minutes, making it crisper, but I don't know whose responsibility that is - the Editor's or the Director's.

I was really impressed with the acting.

Farhan is very, very believable in the role. His angst in certain scenes, esp when he breaks down and cries when on the phone, is truly classic.

Deepika - well, what can I say - this girl is growing on me. She caught my fancy in Love Aaj Kal and has done it again here. However, she's again cast as an independent minded woman - and is convincing. Her earnestness comes across genuinely.

I quite liked the music by Shankar Ehsan Loy. In particular, the music that plays while the opening titles appear, is particularly catchy. Incidentally, the titles are done quite innovatively, too!

Don't expect a love story (though it has its moments). Don't expect a laugh riot - its not a light movie, by any standards. Don't expect an outright thriller - even though there are more than a few times which will make you jump!

I don't think its worth a second watch, but I'd enjoy watching the DVD - and would definitely buy the Audio CD.

All in all, an enjoyable fare - as we say, 'paisa vasool'.

Twitter: sandeepohri
Email: sandeep.ohri@ymail.com
Blog: http://snohri.blogspot.com/
Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bijlee

Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember I was all excited to watch this movie.. which I guess I always am .. Love watching movies & esp those which catches my attention with its Music & Trailer ... I loved the music so much that I went to catch the movie on 1st day itself...
I completely agree with you Mr. Ohri the movie could have been wrapped up in 10 mins but I feel Farhan would have not got the space to Act in 10 mins ... which he did now ... I never expected the movie story would be something like what I was watching,it completely took me back .. Farhan did his part so well that I was engrossed in the movie so much ... so much that at times I was scared with his acting :)...
Yes but I must say never go for a movie believing that the music will follow the story ... When I heard the music like Hey Ya ...Uff Teri Adaa ..& Jane yeh kya hua .. I thought it's going to be a mushy mushy love story but it turned out to be something very different ... Though the movie didn't turned out to be what I thought ...I recommend it is a must watch movie for Farhan Akhtar's acting ... & the telephone maniac story :)...

Deepika was good over all but Farhan's acting overshadowed her many times....

Another good movie added to Farhan's acting career.

Cheers,
Mann