Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Few Good Men (& Women)

I've always been a great fan of Music of the 1980s - let me clarify - ENGLISH music of the 80s. However, I also do like some numbers from the 70s and 60s as well.

For some (unknown, to me) reason, the music of this era is called RETRO. Retro as in Retrospective or Retrograde, is something I still haven't figured out!

I'm definitely not an expert or an authority on music of that era. Neither was I really 'into' the music scene when in school.

It's just that as I passed through those "Wonder Years" (great serial, by the way), each song got 'associated' (like a hyperlink or metatag) with some incident of my life. Most of them, I cherish, but I do also have a lot of forgettable ones, too. Nevertheless, the hyperlinks were established and the songs brought back memories - good, or otherwise, with equal propensity.

In those days, we just had Audio Tapes (I see a lot of young readers going, "Dude, you're O.L.D.") - and we used to run those select few tapes back and forth so many times, that the sequence got cast in stone too!

Till date, if I hear "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson, I expect the next song to be "Stomp" by The Brothers Johnson, followed by "And The Beat Goes On" by The Whispers!

Well, now we have CDs, DVDs, Pen Drives, iPoDs and a host of other equipment to hear songs from. All is not lost for us 'oldies' - as a lot of the old songs (Retro!) are finding their way back! I've managed to 'find' quite a few of my fav numbers on the Internet.

Life had done a full circle (or so I would like to believe). Then again, it has a way of being surprisingly and refreshingly topsy-turvy.

Just as I 'subjected' my kids to my choice of music - it's now their turn. They've grown up and have turned the tables on me. I am now exposed to a host of new music.

This post is about some of the current ones, doing the rounds - in my house at least - which I really like. My current 'playlist' (see, I'm beginning to get the lingo right too!) consists of:
  • Kelly Clarkson (Already Gone)
  • Jay Z feat. Alicia Keys (Empire State of Mind)
  • Lady Gaga (Poker Face, Just Dance, Paparazzi, Eh Eh Nothing Else I Can Do)
  • David Guetta (When Love Takes Over, Delirious)
  • Black Eyed Peas (Boom Boom Pow, I Gotta Feeling)
  • Akon (Right Now, Beautiful)
  • Ne Yo (Miss Independent)
  • Lady Antebellum (Need You Now)
  • Kate Perry (Hot n Cold
  • Lilly Allen (F*ck You) *gasp*
  • Agnes (Release Me)
  • Flo rida (Sugar)
'Nuff said - as the rappers say. This kind of list is a far cry from the kind of music I was accustomed to!

However, now I have a whole new set of hyperlinks and metatags being created - with lovely memories being associated with these numbers (however, ridiculous they may sound after a few years). Whenever I'm traveling and I hear these numbers, my thoughts go back to these memories.

And so the circle of life starts all over again ... listening to these Few Good Men (& Women) ...

Well ... and that's how I feel ...

No comments: